The Grey and Getting Real in the New Year

 


In our Christmas pictures this year, one strange little quirk appears in each one. I have a skunkish stripe of grey shining on the top of my head. Over the past couple of years, I developed what I believed to be a sensitivity to hair color after dying it for twenty years. I was losing my hair, which left me with no alternative but to suspend the coloring.

Sure enough, months later, my hair began growing back.

It hasn't been an exactly smooth transition. I look in the mirror and am shocked to see the transformation taking place before me. I often want to grab the phone and call my hair stylist, but I’m still holding fast because I’d rather be grey than bald.

I’m thinking also of moving into the ladies’ room at Walmart (definitely not a sponsored link) because that’s the only place the lighting is soft enough that the line of demarcation doesn’t show.

Fortunately, there are a good many women who have already or are making this same decision and posting about it online. One of them said that leaving the coloring behind has left her with greater peace.

It seemed an odd comment, but when I thought about it, not having to always be on the treadmill of coloring my hair is bound to cause me to exhale, too.

Now, let me say right here, I am not against hair color. It has served me well for years and since I had kids late in life, it kept folks from thinking I was my kid’s grandmother. But sometimes we must segue and losing the color is causing me to ponder again getting real in other areas of my life--like what I want to say with my words and paint on my canvases. It’s always been my goal to create in such a way that I’m not seeking to please anyone else. I really want to hear from the Lord and follow his guidance. I’m renewing that commitment because sometimes it’s challenging when what we do is at odds with what folks expect or want from us. It can also rub some the wrong way.

As we look toward another year, we realize we only have a certain number of days on this earth to accomplish that to which God has called us. I want to be faithful. Perhaps you feel the same way.

The apostle Paul said, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect” (Romans 12:2). Let’s remember these words as we bravely face this new year and allow ourselves to be transformed in whatever way the Lord chooses. Here on the cusp of 2022, I pray our hearts are open to the Lord and our hands ready for His work. May we cast off the opinions of others and really seek to please only One.

May each of you have a happy and blessed New Year.

And as for my women friends, maybe I’ll run into you in the restroom at Walmart.

Beverly Varnado is the author of several small town romances from Anaiah Press including her latest, A Season for Everything. All are available at Amazon. A memoir, Faith in the Fashion District,  from Crosslink Publishing  is available wherever books are sold.  Also consider her other books, Give My Love to the Chestnut Trees and Home to Currahee. She also has an Etsy Shop, Beverly Varnado Art. 

To explore the web version of One Ringing Bell, please visit bev-oneringingbell.blogspot.com

Beverly Varnado copyright 2021