Who really knows about computers

As I alluded to last week on social media, I’ve done a revamp of my blog. Tweaking still needed, but the important things are finished. When I begin a process like that, problems I hadn’t even dreamed of inevitably happen. It feels like the unknowns circle me like vultures.

To that point, I had almost finished the updates but was having trouble with one element working. Without it, all the other work I’d done was useless. I tried various approaches to fix the problem all with no resolution. There’s not much IT support in these situations, and when I looked online, none of the answers seemed to work for me.

I think I must have spent hours trying over a dozen times to solve the issue.

Finally, I bowed my head, and prayed. “Lord, you know I needed to do this, and now I’m stuck. Please help me.”

I’ll pause here and tell you that later when I told Jerry this story. He said, “So, you stopped and prayed, ‘Lord do you know anything about computers?’”

We both laughed at the absurdity of that statement, but that’s exactly what I’d done. I’d acted like God didn’t have the ability to help me. It was after I’d tried everything else, I prayed. And I’m guessing I’m not the only one who sometimes follows this pattern. Why, oh, why, oh, why, do we not pray first thing about our problems but wait until we’re fraying at the ends to ask? Why do we insist on doing a task in our strength which leads to failure rather than relying on God’s strength in us to accomplish the job?

Going on with the story—after I’d prayed, I looked up and my eyes fell on a tiny little icon I hadn’t noticed before. Could it really be that simple? I clicked on the icon and voila, everything worked.

I was so glad and yet at the same time frustrated with myself at my “do it myself” attitude. I could have saved so much aggravation by praying earlier, but stubbornness caused me to wait.

So, hear I am again, hoping to avoid this in the future by praying right out of the gate.

Turns out, God knows lots about computers.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).

For a limited time, the print version of Faith in the Fashion District is on special sale at 23% off. Check out this and my other titles here.