Seeing

In these parts here, we’ve been talking about seeing.

Now, not the physical seeing, but the spiritual seeing.

It began with a question from a teacher regarding God’s breaking into our natural world. “Do you see it?” she asked emphatically.

Then that same week as I was doing a study by Carolyn Moore, who we know because she and Jerry attended seminary together, I came across another message on this topic.

The study, Supernatural includes a story about how God helped her become more sensitive to His working around her by watching. She writes, “When I watched for the kingdom of God to be exposed, I saw the kingdom of God exposed.”

She includes a quote I love from Thomas Merton, “I have no program for this seeing. It is only given. But the gate of heaven is everywhere.”

She concludes with this, “Spiritual eyesight is something we must pursue.”

For sure. And sometimes we must do away with our preconceived notions of how God will show up, because it is often in an unexpected way.

That question my teacher asked echoes the one in Isaiah 43:19, “Forget about what’s happened; don’t keep going over old history. Be alert, be present. I’m about to do something brand new. It’s bursting out! Don’t you see it? There it is ! I’m making a road through the desert, rivers in the badlands” (The Message).

I imagine, you’re like me, and also have metaphorical deserts and badlands through which you need God to make roads and rivers. Folks, as Merton said, the gate of heaven is everywhere. I want my spiritual eyes to be on alert for all the ways God is showing up around me.

Let’s not miss any of it. Open our eyes, Lord!