What you can hear in the fog


I awoke in the night to intermittent horn blasts while staying on the coast for a short writing retreat. What were they? My mind rifled through possibilities. Were ships making the sounds or were the British invading again as they did back in 1815 ? Early in the morning I went to check it out by car and as soon as I crossed the causeway to the beach, I realized the issue. I found myself in dense fog which must have set those horns blaring.

But what was the source of the sounds? I’ve since read in the local paper they originated from a couple of dredges working in the shipping channel. The article cited rule thirty-five of the International Navigation rules which I investigated. To paraphrase it says vessels standing still in the water when in limited visibility are required by law to sound blasts at not more than two-minute intervals.

Later, I hopped on my bike and headed toward the beach. Folks sitting in beach chairs could see each other but not the water and my visibility was just enough to stop my bike if something were in front of me.

The fog was with us off and on for days and so were the horns trying to help those huge cargo ships coming through the channel avoid collisions. As I stood at the pier one morning, I couldn’t see it, but engines churned  as a giant vessel made its way through the channel, courtesy of the horns and navigation technologies.

The apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthians, “We don’t yet see things clearly. We’re squinting in a fog, peering through a mist” (I Corinthians 13:12 The Message).

We’ve all experienced times in life when we can’t see our hands in front of us and have no idea what could happen next. For us, it feels like a collision could be imminent. But God is present in the fog of circumstance and faithful to be with us to guide us, sounding the warning like the fog horns, helping us know in limited visibility how to avoid a crash.

And sometimes, with everything else cloaked in mist and distractions minimized, that is when we can hear most clearly the voice of the Lord. 

In a recent sermon, my pastor husband pointed out that in our difficulties, God has set limits just as he did with Job when he allowed the enemy to test him. The foggy time will not last forever, so let’s continue to trust and listen to the Lord.

Prayers for you, friends, who may find yourself in the fog. God is close.

As Valentines Day approaches, an author colleague is hosting fourteen other authors (including me) in a giveaway. The details are on her site and will go live on February 1. On that date, click on the image below to www.SuzieWaltner.com. I hope you win!!