When we face opposites


While having lunch with a friend this week, she shared about the recent juxtaposition of having had a concerning call back on a health issue and in the same week, learning about a forthcoming grandchild. The health concern was not minor and jarred her, and yet, here was also this wonderful news which brought such delight. She expressed the challenge of holding such varied emotions in her heart at the same time.

Later, a reading about David in a Bible study I’ve been part of this spring illustrated this dilemma. In The God Who Sees  by Kathie Lee Gifford and Joanne Moody, they write, “His Psalms, while often full of praise and joy, are also filled with anguish, sadness, and despair. David understood that he could feel both at once. He could feel joy in the almighty God, but at the same time, he could feel overwhelmed by grief for his situation. Often, we think we can feel only one or the other . . . But, as evidenced by Psalm 13:1-6, this simply isn’t true. Praise and lament can coexist in our spirits.”

I’m sure we’ve all had times when we held two opposite emotions in our hearts. I remember the thrill of receiving a writing award I never expected and the very next day learning of a serious family situation—both of those within twenty-four hours. I suppose it’s not a matter if this will happen, but when it will, and how we will respond.

David gives us help here. After several verses of lament, he writes, “But I will trust in your unfailing love, my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me” (Psalm 13:5-6). He makes his lament, and doesn’t skip over it, but he also opts to praise.

The same was true for my friend, she said, “At first the health issue threatened to overshadow the good news of my grandchild. But despite my circumstances (which the child was not aware of at the time), I chose to rejoice with my family at this wonderful news.”

So, it comes down to trusting and praising God, as well as remembering all he has done for us even though we are also facing hardship. We don’t ignore our feelings or what we are going through, but as David did, we focus on the Lord and his goodness to us. It might even take a minute or two to get to that point, but still it’s our aim.

Making that choice with you, friend.