When you need help




A piece of furniture needed to be moved from our house, which Jerry and I easily transferred outside to an SUV using a makeshift dolly. What we had not taken into consideration was it might not be so easy to lift it into the vehicle. As we stood staring at the piece, him with one hand in a splint from an orthopedic issue and me with back issues, we went over our options.

The people that would normally help us in a situation like this were a distance away. This was also at a time of day that many of the neighbors were gone. Dark clouds gathered overhead threatening rain. We kept staring at the furniture as if it would sprout legs and climb into the vehicle on its own. I  silently prayed the Lord would help us, and then my attention was drawn to a couple of lawn care workers a few houses away. Could we ask them to help us? No, that would be crazy, I told myself. But the more I thought about it the less crazy it seemed.

“Jerry, do you think we could pay those guys to help us?” I asked pointing to the workers.

He didn’t hesitate. He set off to ask. I watched to see what happened. When he reached them, there was a verbal exchange, and then the group began walking in our direction. I glanced again at the leaden skies and  thought, just in time.

When the two workers arrived, they had the furniture in the vehicle in less than a minute. Jerry pulled bills from his pocket to pay them.

They both put up their hand and refused.

 I persisted.

They still refused. In broken English, one of them said, “Everybody needs help sometimes. God bless you.”

Wait. God bless you was our line. I was about to say it. My eyes filled with moisture.

“Yes, they do,” one of us said. I don’t even remember who, now. “Thank you and God bless you, too.”

As they walked away, I heard the Lord whisper in my spirit, “I have my people everywhere.”

And that is because God is everywhere. I had a special sense of His presence and love for some time afterward because of this experience.

We can find ourselves in situations that in the natural seem impossible to resolve, but God is surrounding us with his care, even when it comes to something as mundane as moving a piece of furniture. God can move mountains at his command, but he can also move home decor. We can forget that in the minutiae of life. The Lord spoke these words to Joshua before he entered the promised land, “Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9). Even if it’s just out to the driveway.

We don’t  need help sometimes. We need help all the time. And being on the receiving end of an unexpected act of kindness reminds us of that.

The next time you find yourself in a jam. Look around, God is there already at work.

And may God bless you, too.