On Being a Prisoner of Hope


A busy weekend with Relay for Life, Palm Sunday, and a family birthday.






I’ve been painting today, because I don’t have much of a brain to write.

I’m trying to make a hard decision regarding an emotional healthcare issue (more on that later) and clinging to a verse God sent my way again yesterday: “Return to your fortress, O prisoners of hope; even now I announce that I will restore twice as much to you” (Zechariah 9:12). And the same verse from The Message, “Come home, hope-filled prisoners! This very day I’m declaring a double bonus—everything you lost returned twice-over.”

From Mrs. Charles Cowman’s Springs in the Valley, “Hold on! It is not always winter; spring is coming. The birds are yet to sing on the very branch loaded with ice. Only don’t break!”

On this first day of Holy Week, it’s good to remember, “He took the punishment and that made us whole. Through his bruises we get healed” (Isaiah 53:4 Message).

Because of what Jesus did for us, we don’t live in perpetual winter. Because of Jesus, we have the blessed anticipation of spring. Because of Him, we have hope.

And in these times, when our minds would bend double trying to figure it all out, hope calls us forward into new life.

“Return to your fortress, O prisoners of hope…”

What fortress is that?

 “The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge” (Psalm 18:2).