Where should we live and other questions

They keep coming all these questions. Like: 

How long is this going to last?

What will be the effect on the economy?

When can I hug or even see my children and grandchildren again?

Is this my new normal?

The list goes on. They can monopolize my thought life. You have your own set of questions, maybe similar to mine.

 I know from experience if I keep dwelling on the unanswerable, things are going to spiral down in my spiritual, emotional, and mental health.

What’s the alternative?

A few years ago, I took a photo on St. Simons Island and later did a painting from it. Storm clouds scattered across the sky over the island but to the west, in one of the darkest clouds, a sliver of rose colored light pierced through. It is that sliver of light amidst day after day after day of bad news and hounding questions on which we must choose to focus.
 
Psalm 16:9 reads, “Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices:  My flesh also shall rest in hope” (NKJV).


I am no Hebrew scholar, but in Strong’s Concordance, it seems in the original language, the word translated as rest has these connotations: dwell, settle down, abide, establish, fix, lodge, permanently stay, continue, inhabit.

The word translated as hope includes these meanings: place of refuge, safety, confidence, security.

When we put those two together, we must take up permanent residence in the refuge of hope.

Only in that place of safety can we live with the questions that come knocking every day. True hope is anchored in Jesus Christ. The apostle Paul wrote, “…we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure” (Hebrews 6:18, 19). From beyond the dark clouds in this dim land, the piercing light of Jesus breaks through.

I have long loved a verse in Zechariah, which reads, “Return to your fortress, O prisoners of hope . . .” (Zechariah 9:13).

Oh, that we could be so established in hope, that we would be captive to it.

So, friends, if you’re wondering how to live with all the questions, that’s it.

Don’t just set up temporary camp in hope. Lay a foundation, build the walls, erect the roof, put the mailbox out front, and send out the change of address cards.

Live in the house of hope.

No matter what.

 Here