Aiming high


A quote from C.S. Lewis came to me again a couple of different ways recently. “Aim at Heaven, and you will get earth ‘thrown in’: aim at earth, and you will get neither.”

How often do we find we “aim at earth” and simply settle for what is, rather than having what the Apostle Paul wrote about, the “exceedingly abundantly above all we ask or think according to the power that works in us” (Ephesians 3:20).

It’s easy to find ourselves in a spiraling pattern of acceptance not realizing what we are relinquishing in the process.

I’m not saying that if we do this, we will not have troubles. We will. What I mean is that are eyes are on Jesus despite the sorrows and grief of this life. Our hearts continue to long for God and what only He can do. Again, what we gain is included in this Amplified version of Ephesians 3:20 “superabundantly more than all that we dare ask or think (infinitely beyond our greatest prayers, hopes, or dreams).”

The Lewis quote above appears in a chapter on hope in his book Mere Christianity. In my dogeared copy which I’ve had for decades now and read first in the early days after my full surrender to the Lord, that chapter is much underlined with many penciled in scripture references. In fact, the back of the book is almost broken there indicating it had been opened to those pages countless times.  

The physical book itself tells the story. What I needed so desperately was this message of hope that we should aim at heaven. I had been kind of a mess for a while, and the whole focusing on the earth thing had not worked too well for me. It was critically important for me to change my focus.

But even after we do this, we can find ourselves growing tolerant of business as usual and lose our passion for the Lord. Time to readjust our sights, again.

And the power Paul talks about—let’s be reminded that if we belong to Him, the power that raised Jesus from the dead lives in us. (Romans 8:11).

Now, there's a thought that should make us all sit at attention.

Let’s take the advice of C.S. Lewis and aim for heaven. I know if we do so, we’ll have many stories of what Priscilla Shirer calls God’s “beyond and beyond.”