Dr. Charles Stanley and setting the crooked straight


Through tears, I watched the news coverage of Dr. Charles Stanley’s passing. Oh, what a saint of God!! One young commentator who had watched Dr. Stanley’s messages with his grandmother when he was a youth growing up in Pennsylvania said, “We all have our stories about Dr. Stanley.”

Yes, we do.

And here’s mine.

After my full surrender to the Lord over forty years ago, I still struggled with a crooked way of thinking about God and myself. To quote a friend who knew the details, she once wrote, “You have misconceptions about God which have lead to false guilt, fear, and feelings of condemnation.” I had a performance-based perspective about God’s love for me. I offered myself hardly any grace.

And these thoughts were about to break me because you see in my world, I had to be perfect. And I hadn’t been and never would be. Who can? Needless to say, I lived in fear. Add to that buried trauma from the past.

For a year in the late eighties, God put me in a spiritual school to deal with this.

Dr. Stanley’s role in helping me with this began one night in October as I turned on the radio when he was speaking on having an unforgiving spirit toward ourselves. He said we have to forgive ourselves.  In my journal I wrote that I sensed God saying “Beverly, this is for you. Believe it!” Dr. Stanley went on to say that If I can’t forgive myself, how can I accept God’s forgiveness. Do I think I know something God doesn’t know? What I’m doing is telling God what He said is not true. When I say “I deserve . . . “ for past sins, it is from the enemy. Satan will try to convince us we’re getting off scot-free, but Jesus paid the price. “Grace is unmerited, undeserved, unnegotiable, and a gift from God,” Dr. Stanley taught.

Later, in another message he said our performance does not save us. I would have told you that I didn’t believe my performance saved me but that it was the grace of God. I knew that was the right thing to say. But the way I lived was I couldn’t mess up or God would toss me. One night I turned on the car radio after a late night at work. This moment is crystallized in my mind because I was struggling so much, and the words Dr. Stanley spoke came right from Gods heart. He spoke powerfully about God’s unfailing love, how we are sealed by the Holy Spirit, and that we belong to Him.

I went on to read Dr. Stanley’s book on forgiveness, which I wish I still had but lent to someone years ago.

At this point, the needle started to move. I later made a list of all the significant words God gave me over the course of that year and I can see a change in my journal entries when I began to receive these words from Dr. Stanley.

In Isaiah 40:4, the prophet in foretelling Jesus’ coming said in part, “. . . the crooked shall be made straight.”

After my surrender to Him, God wanted to set my crookedness straight. He allowed circumstances in my life which would force me to deal with the issue. But at the same time, he sent His word, teachers, and preachers to speak to my heart. One of them was Dr. Charles Stanley who God used to set crooked ways straight in so many. I came out of this time a changed person, and I will forever be grateful to Dr. Stanley for all he did for me through his ministry.

I know he is rejoicing with the angels, now. May his work here on earth continue to bring a harvest of salvation, hope, and healing to many.