15 Verses for Tough Times

While discussing a serious health circumstance of a friend with someone close to me, I promised to send along verses that might be helpful. But while I was at it, I decided to also share with my readers.

When writing these, I turned to a devotional book I wrote when I had cancer (I’m now a twenty-three-year survivor). I noted on more than one occasion that I didn’t know what people did if they didn’t know Jesus. So, this verse from John is of premier importance: “For God so love the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). If we are facing a life-or-death situation, the most important thing we can do is repent of our sins, surrender our lives to Him, and accept Jesus as our savior. That makes all the difference both here and in eternity.

When we’re right up against a situation for which there is no earthly answer, the word of God has a power that no other words have. It is living and active as the apostle Paul said in Hebrews. So, in these times, it is best to regularly turn to His words and see what God will do through them. These are in no order, and there are many more. These fifteen references are just a start.

photo credit Marni Dodd

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1).

“. . . God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you’”(Hebrews 13:5).

“The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe” (Proverbs 18:10).


“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you” (Psalm 56:3).

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).


“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary, and your men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint” 
(Isaiah 40:28-31).

“They cried out go God during the battle, and He answered their prayers, because they trusted in Him” (I Chronicles 5:20).

“He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge” (Psalm 91:4).

“In all their distress He too was distressed, and the angel of his presence saved them” (Isiaah 63:9).


“Praise the Lord, my soul: all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s (Psalm 103:1-5).

“I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name” (Isaiah 45:3).

“He reached down from on high and took hold of me; He drew me out of deep waters” (Psalm 18:16).

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever” (Ephesians 3:20).

“For nothing will be impossible with God” (Luke 1:37).

“But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love . . . “ (Psalm 33:18).